Mediasetís pay-TV business is attracting interest from Sky and at least one other prospective buyer.

Quoting two sources close to the matter, Reuters reports that the Italian unit of Sky has made an offer for Mediaset Premium but been rebuffed.

However, it adds that the two parties are maintaining informal contacts.

Meanwhile, talks about a possible sale of Mediaset Premium to have resumed with Al Jazeera, according to the sources.

Mediaset was engaged in talks last year with Vivendi, Al Jazeera and other parties over possible cooperation in the pay-TV business. However, they came to an unsuccessful conclusion this March.

Mediaset Premium is majority (89%) owned by Mediaset, with Telefůnica holding the remaining 11%.

Despite being currently unprofitable, its position in the Italian pay-TV market was significantly boosted last year after it secured the rights to the Champions League in the country for around Ä700 million.