Qatar-based television network Al Jazeera is in advanced negotiations to buy Turkish satellite network Digiturk, Reuters reported citing three sources close to the talks. Digiturk broadcasts Turkey's top-tier football league and the talks are said to be with BelN Media Group, the sports sector subsidiary of Al Jazeera.

One source said the talks were on the acquisition of all the shares in Digiturk. Digiturk has broadcasting rights for Turkey's Spor Toto Super League until the end of the 2016-2017 season and is 53 percent owned by Turkey's Cukurova Holding, while the remaining 47 percent is owned by Providence Equity Partners of the US.

Cukurova, a holding controlled by Turkish businessman Mehmet Emin Karamehmet, had its Digiturk stake seized in 2013 by Turkey's Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) because of its debts to the state agency